FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
How much does a Half and Whole hog cost?
We charge $5.99/pound based on the Hanging Weight (essentially the carcass weight) plus the cost of the processing. Our pasture-raised pigs hang around 200-250 pounds.
Kinikin Processing in Montrose, a USDA facility, processes Pax Farms pasture-raised pork. From Kinikin's website:
Need BACON? Custom cut pork includes your preference for fresh or cured steaks, roasts and bacon as well as the thickness of your pork chops. We also offer breakfast sausage, sausage links and brats.
Pork Harvest $60.00 ($70 for USDA)
Pork Processing $1.00/lb ($1.10/lb for USDA) hanging
Cure $1.75/lb ($2.00/lb for USDA)
What comes with a Half and Whole hog purchase?
A Whole Hog has about 155 pounds of pork (plus the bones, fat and head) and the Half Hog is just that, half of the whole. (Please note, every pig is different; the weights below are an estimate for a whole pig
* Bacon ( sliced, .75 pound packages) ~15 pounds
* Spare-Ribs (2.5 pound packages) ~5 pounds
* Shoulder Roasts (3 pound roasts) ~25 pounds
* Country Style Ribs (4 steaks per package) ~15 pounds
* Chops (bone-in, 2 per package, 1” thick) ~25 pounds
* Ham Steaks/Roasts (same ingredients as bacon) ~35 pounds
* Ham Hocks (same ingredients as ham) ~5 pounds
* Ground Pork (1 pound packages) ~25 pounds
* Bones (great for making broth) ~15 pounds
* Fat (can be rendered to make lard) ~15 pounds
* Organs ~3 pounds
* Bacon (sliced, .75 pound packages) ~7.5 pounds
* Spare-Ribs (2.5 pound packages) ~2.5 pounds
* Shoulder Roasts (3 pound roasts) ~12.5 pounds
* Country Style Ribs (4 steaks per package) ~7.5 pounds
* Chops (bone-in, 2 per package, 1” thick) ~12.5 pounds
* Ham Steaks/Roasts (same ingredients as bacon) ~17.5 pounds
* Ham Hocks (smoked) ~2.5 pounds
* Ground Pork (1 pound packages) ~12.5 pounds
* Bones (great for making broth) ~8 pounds
* Fat (can be rendered to make lard) ~8 pounds
* Organs ~3 pounds
How is the meat packaged?
Your meat will come frozen. The bacon, ham steaks, hocks and jowl are cryovac wrapped. The ground pork is in one-pound packages. A whole hog processed into cuts will take up about 6 cubic feet of freezer space, approximately 1 cubic foot per 25 pounds of pork.
Why does the label of the bacon and ham say “Uncured”?
Because we do not use nitrites or nitrates in the curing process the USDA states the label must read Uncured.
How does delivery/pickup work?
Local customers pick up their orders at the farm in Gunnison. We will be delivering to Gunnison and Crested Butte this year.
Does Pax Farms ship?
The farm is growing and we do offer shipping paid by the customer.